Monday 12 May 2014

12/5/14

This morning I set off early because I wanted to go out buy my fabric and then get back home as quickly as possible so I wouldn't waist anymore time, because tomorrow I am planning on doing my photo shoot and my garments need to be finished.

First I bought more of the purple and metallic wool for the sleeves of the jacket. Then I went looking for the metallic fabric that I bought very early on in the project. I went to the shop that I bought it in and I couldn't find it, however I did end up buying a fabric that was even better. They were the same fabric all that was different was the slight coloration as the one I bought is more like a silver where as the one I had previously bought for samples is more grey. So quite fortunate that I couldn't find it because the silver one is more shiny and is better suited to my projects concept.

Once I was home I began by making the skirt, for this I needed to take apart my toile because I didn't make a paper pattern. Once it was taken apart, I pinned it to the fabric and cut out the fabric. The only part where I had difficulty was when I added in the darts because I made the markings with tailors chalk but it didn't show up well, so I had to use a pen and make small dots of where I needed to fold the fabric. Then once sewing the darts together I sewed the skirts front and back together at the edges, but only on one of the edges as I would sew the other edge together once I had attached the other pieces. Yet when sewing I made sure I had a 1.5cm seam allowance because the fabric is very prone to fraying. The next step was adding the purple shimmery fabric to the silver, I cut this out and sewed the two pieces together then sewed it to the silver fabric, yet when I sewed the purple fabric on I made sure that the tension of the stitch was at its lowest because the purple fabric has a very loose weave and is very fragile because it comes unwoven very easily, but with the stitching smaller this will help to stabilise it. With this in mind I attached the ruffle. So now all the elements to the skirt were sewn together and now I had to sew from the top of the skirt to the bottom. I sewed all along the edge however I left a 10cm gap in one of the side seams as this is where I added in the zip. Usually I struggle with adding in zips but this time I had no difficulty.

Making the skirt was fairly easy, I had no major problems, I think because after yesterday I understand the fabrics better and also because it is a fairly easy pattern. So with my skirt finished and my jacket nearly finished all I had to do was add the knit onto the bottom of the sleeves. However I know it will take me quite a while to knit the sleeves especially as I need quite a lot and as my knitting skills are quite basic and I'm very slow. So I started knitting and did so for the rest of the evening, I got about halfway through. Yet as it is taking me a lot longer than I had anticipated I will have to push my shoot back till Wednesday because I just need one more day to finish the garment and then prepare for the shoot. Luckily I checked in with my model and she is able to do Wednesday now instead.

This is frustrating but there isn't really anything I can do, fortunately it won't set me back that far, just tomorrow at uni I will need to finish the knitting and then sew it to the sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment