Wednesday 7 May 2014

7/5/14

I feel that today has been a lot less stressful as I was able to work a lot better than yesterday. I started today by making adjustments to my paper toile on the stand. I left it yesterday with a hunched back and a bloated stomach. By looking at it again today I am pleased I changed the design as the front doesn't match the back, because the back has more structure and depth due to mix of different sized shapes, where as the front is smooth but just sticks out. I decided to remove the front and I began thinking of what I could do to make it more interesting, yet after reflecting on yesterday I knew that I wouldn't be able to make any shapes that would perfectly go. So with the front now flat I also decided to add on another lump to the side I think this highlights how the body will look deformed and distorted even more. 
So with the new design redrawn and the paper back finished I began to make it out of calico. For this all I did was cut out the pattern and I pinned the pieces to the paper pieces whilst it was on the stand so I could replicate the final shape. I did it this way because I knew that especially after yesterday I would not be able to get the same shape again very easily, but this way I was able to make the same shape out of calico very quickly. With this all pinned together I sewed the back together, but I i made sure I had a 1.5cm seam allowance because I had to leave enough room to put the boning in. Therefore once the back was sewn together I went back over the seams and sewed them again along the edge along there to be a tunnel for the boning to sit in. This was fairly straight forward and I didn't find it difficult just time consuming especially with inserting the boning and cutting it to the correct size. 

So with the structure of the back made I pinned it back onto the manikin and then began to start working on the front. Luckily I already had a pattern for the front made from previous projects so all I did was adjust to fit and pin this to the manikin as well. The adjustments I made were easy, simply just making sure the the seams lined up and that there was a big enough armscye for when I add in the sleeves. So once sewing this together, and I checked that the fit was good, I asked my model to try it on so I would know that the fit was correct, she said it fitted her perfectly, which is good as if it didn't I would have to unpick it and reevaluate the size. I then moved onto the skirt size which I also had an already made pattern for. I had the pattern already made because I have a block pattern for a normal a-line dress, which is where I got the pattern for the skirt and the front of the jacket. As I used these already existing toiled as a block that I adjusted, this saved me a lot of time as I didn't have to draw out a pattern then adjust it and then make it into a toile, I could simply take patterns that I had already made and just use them as a basis. 

Therefore for the skirt I cut 20cm off the bottom as this would act as the pattern for the purple shimmery fabric where as the rest of the skirt will act as the silver fabric.

Over the next few days I plan on finishing my toile so I begin with making my final garments ready for my photo shoot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment